Background of Establishment of National Curriculum Council (NCC)
- As a result of the 18th Constitutional Amendment, the subjects in the Concurrent List were devolved to provinces including Curriculum. Besides capacity issues, working separately on Curriculum by provinces and areas not only created a disconnect between the education and training of the children of the nation but also affected quality and standards. For a nation to build itself, there was a need to adhere to a certain common set of lessons based on Islamic ideology enunciated in the Constitution of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan leading to national cohesion. Hence, there was a great need to devise and maintain common curricula in every field.
- The National Education Policy (NEP) 2009 continues to be a jointly owned national document ever since the amendment. NEP 2009 assigns Inter-Provincial Education Ministerial Conference (IPEMC) the role to oversee educational development including monitoring and review of the NEP.
- In light of the aforementioned decision, the formation of the National Curriculum Council (NCC) was approved unanimously by all provinces and areas in the IPEMC held on Feb 11, 2014, with the objective to develop a minimum Curriculum that ensures Minimum National Standards in all subjects and emphasizes on national ideology and societal needs.
Formation of NCC
National Curriculum Council is a 58 members body that includes the following:
- Minister for Federal Education and Professional Training as Chairman
- Provincial and Area Education Ministers
- Chairman HEC and VCs of prominent universities
- Heads of Wafaqat/Tanzimat of Madaris Pakistan
- Head of Minority Commission
- Heads of Assessment organizations
- Public and private publishers
- Representatives from Armed Forces Educational Institutions
- Eminent Scholars and educationists
Role of NCC
- NCC serves as a professional, advisory, and consultative national body to steer and guide the development of curriculum in close collaboration with all the federating units.
From 2016 onwards, NCC developed the following:
- Minimum Standards of Quality Education
- National Curriculum Framework
- Values Education Supplement for Curriculum
- Curriculum for Islamabad Capital Territory (ICT) 2017-18 from Grade Pre I-VIII
Textbooks for ICT from grades Pre I-VIII
- National Curriculum of Pakistan (NCP) Standards from grades ECE to 12 (Core Subjects)
- Textbooks on NCP from Grades ECE to Grade 8
- Teacher Training Modules from grades ECE to Grade 8
- Assessment Framework from Grades ECE to Grade 8
- National Curriculum of Pakistan (NCP) Standards of optional subjects
- Textbooks on NCP from grades 9 to 12
- Teacher Training Modules from grades 9 to 12
- Assessment Framework from grades 9 to 12
National Curriculum Council (NCC) Secretariat
- The Secretariat of the National Curriculum Council is located on Plot 35 H-9/4 Islamabad. Since the 1970’s this building has been used as Curriculum Wing where experts from throughout Pakistan have been gathering and developing educational curricula for Pakistani students.
- This building consists of nine committee rooms where meetings of the subject experts are conducted from time to time. Moreover, there is a library that serves as a resource center for students and experts in education with special reference to curriculum studies. There are offices for officers responsible for coordinating the curriculum development and textbook review process in different subjects. An auditorium is also available where different conferences and workshops are conducted on different themes related to Curriculum development.
Address: Plot 35, Sector H-9/4, Islamabad
Project Director: +92 51 9265579
Admin Office: +92 51 9265572
Education Office: +92 51 9265567
Library: +92 51 9265574